The Orangery

Music and Tivoli have belonged together since H.C. Lumbye's time (1810-1874). Lumbye wrote, among other pieces, The Champagne Galop for Tivoli, and played with his orchestra in the Tivoli Concert Hall at the City Moat (the site of The Glass Hall Theatre).

Tivoli's current Concert Hall (1956, architect Frits Schlegel) is an example of modern Tivoli architecture during that period.

The Columbine Garden (2001, Stig Lennart Andersson) is almost like a labyrinth.

Worth knowing


    The Harmony Pavilion was constructed in 1907 and was designed by Tivoli director and architect Knud Arne Petersen.

    Throughout its good 100 years of existence, the Pavilion building has housed both a carousel and a fruit stall. For as long as anyone can remember, it has, however, been a venue for the Tivoli Harmony Orchestra followed by the Tivoli Big Band. Now, the Harmony Pavilion is used for alternating smaller orchestras, while the Tivoli Big Band has moved to the Open Air Stage.

  2. H. C. LUMBYE

    Hans Christian Lumbye went to work at Tivoli from the start with the founder, Georg Carstensen, in 1843. The two men knew each other from Carstensen's big subscription parties, which he held for the readers of his two periodicals Figaro and Portefeuillen. Lumbye was in charge of the music at the parties, and was Tivoli's first music director. Conducting his large 18 piece orchestra, with the violin under his chin, he created the music tradition for Tivoli which remains to this day. 

    Lumbye began his career as a military musician, but then became a conductor and composer. During the summers (in the years 1843-72) he performed in Tivoli, while the winters offered him engagements overseas, for example in Berlin's Wintergarten with Herr Kroll, who lent his name to Lumbye's work, Kroll's Balklange (Echoes from Kroll's Ball).


    The Champagne Galop is the most famous of all the works that Lumbye composed for Tivoli. It was created to mark Tivoli's second anniversary, which should have been celebrated on 15 August 1845. The party was postponed due to rain, so The Champagne Galop was first performed on 22 August. 

    Lumbye was incredibly popular in his lifetime and known as "The Strauss of the North". His popularity spread to his sons Carl and Georg, who were expected to take over their father's duties in Tivoli. However, that did not happen. Even his grandchild, Tippe Lumbye, did not become a Tivoli musician - instead he became the host at Grøften! His daughter, Caroline, wed the author Adolph von der Recke, artistic director at Tivoli from 1858 – 1867.



    Tivoli's first concert hall was situated at the City Moat, with the cafes Divan 1 and Divan 2 on each side. The Concert Hall had window panes with coloured glass that glittered when the music was playing. Inside the Concert Hall, Lumbye's Orchestra played on the stage on the one side, and Braunstein's Orchestra played on the other side. The two orchestras normally relieved one another, but in Lumbye's Telegraph Galop the idea is precisely that two orchestras respond to one another just like a telegraph. 
    The first, rectangular Concert Hall was refurbished, or practically reconstructed, in 1863, which was when the building got its octagonal shape. Again in 1898, there was a major refurbishment, and the famous dome was seen for the first time. It was this building's name that was changed to the Glass Hall Theatre in 1902. 

    In 1902, Tivoli director and architect Knud Arne Petersen opened his large Moorish Concert Hall, which was situated in the middle of Tivoli in the same position that the Concert Hall occupies today. This building burnt down in connection with the Schalburgtage (German counter-sabotage) in 1944. 


    Tivoli's current Concert Hall was inaugurated in 1956 with a big show featuring prominent stars and the royal family among the audience. It was designed by Fritz Schegel and Hans Hansen and was the largest Concert Hall in the North with approx. 1900 seats when it opened. 

    The Concert Hall was renovated in 2005. Wardrobes and technical facilities were improved and the public areas were extended. The original building at the back was demolished and instead a new building, designed by the architectural firm 3xN, was built. The building contains a restaurant, Tivoli's employee cafeteria and a large rehearsal room. The round foyer building was also added. A storage cellar was converted into a foyer with a 30 metre long tropical aquarium on the one side, and on the upper level the Balanchine Lounge was furnished.

Loading icon
Tap to activate the map